A database administrator (DBA) is a person who is responsible for the environmental aspects of a database. In general, these include:
- Recoverability – Creating and testing Backups
- Integrity – Verifying or helping to verify data integrity
- Security – Defining and/or implementing access controls to the data
- Availability – Ensuring maximum uptime
- Performance – Ensuring maximum performance given budgetary constraints
- Development and testing support – Helping programmers and engineers to efficiently utilize the database.
A software developer is a person who is concerned with one or more facets of the software development process, a somewhat broader scope of computer programming or a specialty of project managing. This person may contribute to the overview of the project on the application level rather than component level or individual programming tasks. Software developers are often still guided by lead programmers but also encompasses the class of freelance software developers.
When I read some text, they always say this “Well there is always a conflict between developers & DBAs. They always accuse each other. However they should work together. Remember, it is a team work that produce quality work and strength.” Is it true?🙂 Is there such a conflict?
Nowadays, I want to learn more information about dba and developers. Because I guess, I am going to need to make a choice between these areas in the future. Can a person be an DBA/Developer or something? Do we have to make a such a choice?
Tom Kyte says :
“You have four kind of persons.
– You have the Oracle6 DBA, who says always NO
– You have the Developer, who does not care about database
– You have the DBA/Developer, who understand the logical structures like IOT/Hash Cluster
– You have the Developer/DBA, who understand the database”🙂